A few months back, I found some Butterball fresh turkeys in the post holiday markdown bins at the grocery store. They were BIG turkeys, not close to expiring, and only $5 each. I bought them both with the intention of sticking them in my freezer but when I got home, I realized that they had a lot more potential boned and packed separately. So, I began.
The first thing I did was open up the turkeys, of course! Then, I removed the legs.
![]() |
| Definitely sharpen your knives before jointing and boning a turkey. |
Then, I took off the wings and cut them at the joints. The wing tips went into the bowl for the scraps for making schmaltz.
Then, I carefully removed the breasts. Everyone loves a big breast! I gave them a nice squeeze.
After taking the meat off the thighs, I diced it up into bits for stir fry and soups.
Unfortunately, I had to decline the offer for assistance.
With a sharp knife and a lot of care, your carcass should look like this.
Then you put it on the stove in a big pot and cover it with water. Let it boil for about an hour, then *eye* took it out and carefully took off the cooked bits because otherwise they lose flavor. I ended up with 4 cups of precooked turkey for freezing and using in pot pies. Put the bones back into the pot and simmer them for several hours and you will have a thick turkey stock. After straining it, I made sure I had 10 quarts of stock, which, if I had paid $1 per quart at the store, would save me the cost of the turkeys at $5 each.
The cooked turkey bits....
Somehow, several pictures are missing from my hard drive so I will now list what I got for my $10 investment.
4 turkey legs ... store cost: $6
4 turkey wings ... store cost $6
4 5 pound boneless turkey breasts ... store cost $50
3 2 pound packages of boneless thigh meat ... guessing store cost $6 (can't find this in store)
4 cups of cooked turkey bits ... $5
10 quarts of frozen turkey stock ... $10
A bag of fat and skin for schmaltz and gribenes ... priceless.
The only way I could make this better would be if I took these neck bones below and made a crappy craft to sell.
And there you have it. I will never buy turkey in any form again but whole and cut it up.
End first post. This was pretty easy.










Wow! How impressive! How long did it take you to do this?
ReplyDeleteCould you show us step by step how to debone it next time? I've never been able to figure that out.
ReplyDeleteLiterally MONTHS hahaha
ReplyDeleteFrom start to the time I strained the turkey broth, a day. Boning and jointing the turkeys, about an hour. Packing the pieces in the foodsaver, maybe another half hour or so.
Nana, you bet! I have a bird right now I can set in the fridge and get to work on as soon as it thaws.
ReplyDelete