My youngest son is a fickle eater. It pains me greatly to say that, but it is true. One day, he loves tomatoes, the next day...I can't coax him to take a single bite. He has done this with bananas, pickles, olives, tacos, sandwiches, pasta, apples, eggs, mandarin oranges, the list goes on and on. He has a love/hate thing with chicken and can tell if I substitute ground turkey for ground beef in a recipe (ground turkey is easily less than half the cost per pound than ground beef...). The only constant for him has been his consistent love (since infancy) of plastic food and his love of candy.
It baffles me daily when we eat something that he previously enjoyed and suddenly, it is no longer on his list of acceptable foods. That doesn't mean that he won't love that item again in 2 months, 2 weeks, or even 2 days. I wouldn't call him a picky eater, just fickle. "I'm not in the mood for that anymore" he'll say, and he will choose to just not eat.
For the longest time, I have been making his plates into things that make him laugh or that he will call "fancy" and it is the greatest way yet to get him to eat his lunch and supper. It's not a banana, it's a smile. A slice of tomato can make great eyes, big, red clown noses, etc. He loves to have a layered sandwich like he sees on TV. I've discovered that he doesn't like sandwiches, but if they are made on brown and serve rolls or cut into little squares and served with toothpicks like hors d'oeuvres, he will eat in record time. It doesn't bother me to put a little extra love into his food. So, today I made him some lunch with some ham that he had deemed unacceptable yesterday and banana that he didn't like anymore last week. It came out like this.
Those are ham and cheese minis with sliced tomato and tomato ears (with marshmallow earrings), a banana, a sweet pickle nose, and 2 olives on toothpicks. Even when we're out of bananas, I try and garnish his plate with olives or something because those little touches make a huge difference in how he perceives his food. I don't know why unless it is something I learned once on food network when the chef said "You also eat with your eyes."
I always know what will happen when I set his plate down and his face lights up and I hold my breath till he says "Now THAT'S fancy!" I get back a plate that looks like this:
With the proper presentation, I can get him to eat almost anything. At least, for now, till he figures out my trick.


very cool
ReplyDelete