I was raised in a yard saling family. I remember going on weekends when I was a kid, my mom would fill up the station wagon with me, my sister, my brother and whichever of my cousins that wanted to go. There were always so many of us that someone or two had to ride in the hatch area. So we would take our allowances and go out town to the yard sales.
When I was a teenager, this became a little embarassing when she would shop sales that were in my home town but I outgrew that. In the last few years o her life, we would often hop in my car and go together, looking for treasures. It's one of those things I am glad about.
Lately, I've been teaching my little one about yard sales. He loves them and wants to go with me whenever we find one. The oldest will slink down in the car and pretend he isn't there, but not the youngest. Today, we were on our way shopping and stopped at one. We strolled past the usual boxes of dusty shoes, VHS tapes and used lipsticks, half-full bottles of lotion, etc waded through the racks of too-small clothing when I spied this in amongst the tattered, self-help books on a bookshelf. In a split second, I knew I must have it.
One of the things I love about the doctor's office is that they always have some cool gadgets to play with, like model bones and body part posters. I handed it to the little one and told him to go ask the lady how much it was. Being an obedient child, he did, and she said "50 cents!" it will be a great item when we do our anatomy class! It has a little pull-out drawer with a piece of paper inside that details how to use the model. As we were headed to pay, I noticed a box on the end of a table....
I love pricey kitchen stuff. I DON'T love paying for pricey kitchen stuff. One of what I call my hobbies is upgrading my kitchen items via thrift stores and yard sales. I have a weakness for Tupperware but it's so expensive! Every piece I own has come from a thrift store or a yard sale, and I have never paid more than $3 for one, that one being a giant green mixing bowl with a lid, my mom used hers for many things and I do, too.
I rummaged around in the box and removed some recycled sandwich meat containers and some partially melted rubbermaid bowls and several lids that didn't have bowls to go with them, then I carried this up to the lady at the desk and set the bones down with the box.
The veggies and dip server was $1 and I'll use that thing a LOT
I needed some airtight canisters and there are 1 large, 5 medium, and 1 small of the ones with red lids. There are 2 small ones with beige lids. I'm not sure what the orange thing is but I'll use it for something, probably spaghetti.
She charged me $3 for everything in that box, including the dip server. They're dirty where they've been in the garage, but half are running through the dishwasher tonight and the other half will be tomorrow. What a great deal for only having to wash them! I spent all day being happy about that box of Tupper.
And that was our day. Yard sales rock!


yay!!
ReplyDelete