Food Bank Donations to Date

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Things That Make You Go Mmmmmmmm

Today's entry will be about one of my favorite things to eat, we grew up calling it Slim Toast! You may have encountered this dish before under one of its pseudonyms, hen in a nest, popeye, moon egg, egg in a basket, toad in the hole, eggs-in-toast, cowboy egg, and one-eyed jack.

The reason we called them Slim Toast was because my dearest cousin married a man named Slim, back when I was still very young. One day, they were hanging out with my mom (one of the coolest ladies in the entire world) and he mentioned that he had invented these fabulous treats. Mom had been serving them up to us for as long as I could remember and I can't remember if she told him that or not. I'm sure that he really thought he had invented them, though. Anyway! From that point onward, Mom called them Slim Toast and this is how you make them.

That's my mom's biscuit cutter...

You need 1 bread per egg and some butter. I like real butter. Medium eggs work best but all I had today were jumbos, so there will be some spillage. I also use just regular bread from a loaf, but there are some restaurants that use thick sliced, artisan bread.



 Cut the hole, my bread tore on the side but I don't care, the egg will make it stick together.



 Melt a pat of butter in the hole on med-low heat. I like to swirl it around in there so that when I crack the egg into it, it pushes the butter out into the sides.



Crack the egg into the middle and pop the yolk, I like cooked yolks. This is also where I like to add salt and pepper, break little bits of butter onto the corners, and put the lid on. After it sets some, you can turn them. It will probably leak some, it leaks less if you use a smaller egg and make sure you let it set.




 After flipping them a few times, I always cut a slit in the middle to make sure the yolk is solid and if it is and the toast is golden brown, flip them out onto a plate. These are so good, and they always make me think of my mom and Slim, who are both no longer with us, and their great senses of humor, which is a prerequisite to marrying into my family. RIP you two, you are and will always be, missed.

1 comment: