Food Bank Donations to Date

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Canning Your Own Salsa When Your Gardening Skills are Lacking

I will admit it...I am not a gardener. I grew up in a family of people who were and ARE fabulous with plants. Unfortunately, I am lacking that gene. I did grow a garden once and I guess if you sweat on it enough, you can get a lot from it, but ever since, my plants have died. I must not sweat enough!

I've been working this week on rearranging my pantry to accommodate the flux of groceries lately. I've been getting rid of things I bought that I haven't used, like the clam juice and jalapeno jelly and making room for things that we will use like Heinz 57 and grill spices. While I was working, I found a bulk size can of tomatoes so I decided to make some salsa for Alpha Man and his coworker. I've done it like this before, there was a time when I matched up a coupon to a sale on canned tomatoes and couldn't stop myself from buying them until ALL of the coupons were gone because the tomatoes were free. I think that when I was done, I had 240 cans. And I LOVE canned tomatoes. I don't like them fresh at all, but from a can, mmmm.

So I started with this set up, but first, I got the Jell-O ready.


Jell-O? Oh, it has nothing to do with the salsa, but I have it on good authority that the key to being a great mom is in keeping the Jell-O coming! So you new parents forget all those things you've read in books, just keep up the Jell-o! Anyway, here's the setup.

First, get your water bath canner and jars ready so the jars will be hot when you need them. Adding your hot tomatoes to cold jars can cause them to break. I did this without a canner for a long time and just had an insert in the bottom of a stock pot, but then I found this lovely old enamel canning pot with a rack at a thrift store for $2.99. Setting the jars on the bottom of the pot with nothing under them can cause them to break, too. SO just buy a canner. They're about 20 bucks and come with some really great accessories. Get your jars on the fire with a pot of water and then start on the tomatoes.


You see a BIG can of tomatoes and a packet of salsa mix plus a 4 cup measuring cup. That packet of mix has the instructions on the back and was on clearance last year for 10 cents. The first thing I like to do is take out about 4 cups of whole tomatoes (no juice) and set them aside to roughly chop later. Then I stick the immersion blender down inside and make a seedy puree, like this!


After this, I like to slide a slotted spoon around in there and see if there are still any whole tomatoes, then roughly chop the tomatoes and add them back in. Take a 1 cup measuring cup and measure your tomatoes into a large stainless steel pot to make sure you have the amount the recipe calls for. I've had to open a small can before and add a few to get an extra cup. Don't start daydreaming or A) you'll lose count ... was that 7 or 9? and B) this will happen! Curse you, attention deficit!



Once you have them measured, you may have to pour them back into the can and then make the mixture of vinegar and mix powder in your pot before readding the tomatoes. Always follow the directions on the packet. The companies who make these things know a lot about how to prevent your home canned goods from developing botulism and they make the recipe for that. Once your tomatoes have processed according to the directions, take a jar grabber and lift a few out and pour out the water. This can get a drip on your hand, so wear a mitt if you don't have an abnormally high tolerance to pain like I do.


I like to set out half the jars and fill them to within a 1/4 inch to the rim using my funnel and a cup.


Fill your jars and get the lids ready. They should be in a pan with some very hot, but not boiling, water. This is the spot where you realize you put the wrong size lids in earlier and have to get back into the canning supplies to find the right size.



Put the new lids in the very hot water for a bit and let them get hot, wipe the jars around the top to get any residue off (this is necessary! Particles between the jar and the rubber seal can prevent you from getting a good seal), and seal with the lid and the rings. Do this until you are out of mixture. If you have an incomplete amount at the end, eat it! Don't can a half jar.
Then, put them back into the pot.


Process according to the package directions and when you are done, you will have a batch of salsa that I promise you will love!





It's not sweet like the stuff in the store, though, but more like the stuff that you are brought to the table in a Mexican restaurant. After that, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment