Food Bank Donations to Date

Monday, June 20, 2011

Using Rebates to Your Advantage

Today, we're going to talk about rebates. I know, I know, I said it would be chicken breasts but we ate the ones I bought and I didn't get any pics. I LOVE rebates. They are a great incentive to try new products, to BUY products, and to recoup some of your out of pocket expenses. Today is Monday. I went to Food Giant to take advantage of their double coupon policy. Here is what I bought.

2 bricks of coffee
6 bags of sunflower seeds
2 small Sunny D
1 box of cereal
3 French fried onions (snacks!)
3 BBQ sauce
3 canned tomatoes
1 worcestershire
3 packs of napkins
1 large cabbage
1 cucumber
1 bell pepper
1 bag of salad
1 thing of ground pepper
1 salad dressing
1 roast beef spread
1 bottle of spicy brown mustard
3 packs of hot dogs
3 packs of bologna

I spent $9.96 after coupons and tax. I know bologna and hot dogs aren't the healthiest things, but the autistic boy will only eat certain things and certain brands. I don't believe in forcing my kids to eat food they don't like just because it was the best deal. Instead, I stock up when I can get their preferred items for the lowest price.

Now, we will talk about rebates. The box of cereal has a Try Me Free rebate on it. That means that after spending my $9.96, I will get back $4.14 of that. I usually sink about $40 a month into rebates.

A month ago, I bought some really great Johnsonville bratwurst patties for $7.99. As I was loading them into the car, I noticed a sticker advertising an opinion poll on the side of the box. I came home and cooked the patties for dinner and then took the poll. For doing the survey, in Friday's mail, I got a $20 cash card. I will take that card and turn it into $100 worth of stuff. Thanks, Johnsonville! And those patties were fab!

 

I know, not everyone has the time or the inclination to use coupons and rebates and look for the best deals. But just remember when you see that coupon person in the store that they're not necessarily a crazy hoarder with a garage full of diapers and no babies. Maybe they're just an average person who wants to save money in a crappy economy. We've recently started a new homeschooling class that we're calling "Philanthropy". This was our first round of things that we took to the food bank. I don't mind buying things we won't use just so that we can donate them. Even in better times, we weren't able to do this, and here we are now, one downsized job later and high gas prices and we're doing a small part to make the world a better place. And that's huge.

 
Alpha Man says "I'm pretty sure that this means you're the devil."  Hahahah
 
Oh, and if you guys see any rebates in your stores, grab one and gimme a holler!

6 comments:

  1. You are the coupon queen. Today I hit Harris Teeter with my coupons and spent $83 and paid $31. That includes 12 packs of diet cokes, chicken, foil and some things that just don't come with coupons. But it was a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is GREAT though! That's a $52 savings! I'm OK with spending money, but I do like free better. produce is big for us, we eat veggies with every meal so I do spend on my produce. You being a vegetarian, I know you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. living alone, I can't be bothered...couldn't use it all up before it spoiled...have that problem with some things already. BUT, even when kids were little, I used coupons, but wasn't fanatical about it...didn't have the time ---too busy doing everyday cleaning, washing, ironing, yard work, sewing clothes, etc. (it can take over your life)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most definitely! I have to slow down in order to do the gardening, reading, math,other schooling, housework, etc.
    And so many things spoil, you see people buying too much of something that will definitely go bad. If it's a great deal, I will pick up a few but even the food bank doesn't want me bringing them 300 bottles of mustard just because they were free after coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched extreme couponing the other night, now I see your blog... I don't use coupons, like, ever. I used to clip them, organize them, then forget about them until they expired.
    Guess I need to start all over again!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn it is easy to save with coupons without going overboard. You just have to shop smart!

    ReplyDelete